Vegan Supreme Crunchwrap
Here is a recipe I found on Pinterest from one of my favorite bloggers, Pinch of Yum. I love most all of her recipes I have tried and this one did not disappoint! I had never tried to make my very own vegan cashew queso, but that was enough to make me try out this recipe…that and the fact that the Crunch Wrap Supreme from Taco Bell used to be my go-to on Friday nights before I hit the town! I was excited to try a bit healthier version of an old favorite and I am happy to say, this was amazing!!
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Yield: enough filling for 4-6 wraps
Spicy Sofritas Tofu –
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu (excess moisture squeezed out)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (or just a mixture of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, hot pepper flakes, salt to your taste)
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced
- 1/3-1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
Cashew Queso – (this stuff is the bomb!)
- 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- ½ cup (or more, if needed) water
- 1 4oz can of diced green chilis
- Dash of chili powder, cumin and garlic powder and maybe a little cayenne for that extra kick
For the crunch wraps –
- Large burrito sized, flour tortillas *It helps to use an extra tortilla or two to cut circles the size of the tostada to place on top of the insides before you wrap the tortilla.
- one package of tostadas (one for each crunch wrap)
- one can of black beans, or a can of spicy black beans (love these!)
- avocados, lettuce, tomato, cilantro
- additional veggies like sauteed red pepper and corn if you’d like
- Sofritas Tofu: Heat oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add the tofu (make sure the moisture has been squeezed out. I wrap it in a few paper towels and put it on a plate and put a heavy cast iron pan on top to squeeze it out) and break it into crumbles as it cooks. Add the taco seasonings, chipotlepeppers and salsa. Make sure you get it all nice and hot. Then let it sit without stirring for about 10 minutes. This will help bring out the flavor with a few crispy bits.
- Cashew Queso: Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Add more water if necessary.
- Crunch Wrap Assembly: Lay out a large tortilla on a cutting board or other flat surface. Top with a bit of the sofritas and black beans (and added sauteed veggies if you made some). Drizzle that with some of the queso. Top with tostada and then add your cold ingredients like lettuce, cilantro, tomato and avocado.
Top all that with the round, tostada sized tortilla to help cover all the goodness. Next, fold all of the edges of the tortilla toward the center and place in a hot, oiled skillet, seam side down.
Cook on both sides until nice and crunchy and brown. Cut in half and serve with a little extra queso drizzled on top!
There you have it! They do work well as leftovers the next day. Just pop them in the microwave. The tostada won’t be crunchy like the night before, but the flavor is still there and still just as yummy!